Case Studies

Bryony Lang, 22, Hertfordshire

Bryony moved to the Brighton coast, but after a serious asthma attack, she had to move back home. She was allergic to mould spores, and even though there was no mould visible in her home, the quality of air was having a damaging effect on her health.

“I was really shocked as the house didn’t seem particularly mouldy or damp. I didn’t know you could be allergic to mould spores anyway,” Byrony says.

“It was a really scary time and my breathing was really affected, I had to keep leaving the house to get some fresh air. It is so important to make sure your house is properly ventilated, especially if you’re asthmatic like me.”


Grace Williams, 20 from North Wales is a student at Cardiff Metropolitan University

Grace has had to deal with a serious mould and damp issue in her university bedroom for over a year. Even though it caused her health to deteriorate, like many other students, she had to ‘put up with it’.

“My bedroom is in the loft and has a serious mould issue. I cannot study or spend much relaxation time in there because my eczema flares up massively. I have to use my strong steroid cream and increase my antihistamine intake to cope with the itchiness.”

“The mould worsens the moment it turns cold and it starts to affect my breathing. Since living in this bedroom I’ve found that I suffer with a lot more colds, which obviously affects my University work.”

It doesn’t surprise me that students have said they think their Uni homes are bad for mould as lots of my friends have told me they have the same problem. Plus it has taken a year of moaning to my landlord for them to do something about it. They assure me it has been sorted, I am living in the same house this year so I will soon find out.”

 


Submit your own indoor air quality story here: